One way to think about the history of the organized sport of armwrestling is to break it up into different eras or “ages”. For simplicity, I divide eras by decade, but there are also some boundaries that separate these periods nicely.
I divide the sport into the following eras:
- The Beginnings (~1900 to 1969)
- The Golden Age (1970 to 1979)
- The Silver Age (1980 to 1989)
- The Bronze Age (1990 to 1999)
- The Copper Age (2000 to 2009)
- The Renaissance (2010 to 2019)
I consider anything from before about 1900 to be “Early Origins”. For more information on these origins, I suggest reading Early Origins of Armwrestling and The Ancient Hawaiian Sport of Uma.